Students have a lot of priorities in college. Generally the assignments that need to be turned in take priority over reading assignments. How can you give reading the priority it deserves? Here are some ideas:
- Make reading a production assignment like the other assignments you turn in. Here’s how to do that
- Read a paragraph
- Make a flashcard with an anticipated question from each paragraph
- Read first thing in the morning before your mind is tired. If you just devote 30 minutes each morning to reading, you will be surprised by how much you will accomplish. Also this is a good way to start each day. You are less rushed and less stressed.
- Put reading in your planner and on your white board like any other assignment.
- Find a reading buddy who you can compete with in completing you reading assignment.
- Take pictures of several pages in your book at the beginning of each day on your phone. Look at these pages when you have down time between classes. Combine this step with step (1) above.
While the reading can be boring at time, using the above strategies can make this easier to accomplish.