An internship is a tremendous opportunity. You can make the internship even more valuable by doing a number of little things that are not expected. These are things that set you apart from others. What are some of these little things?
- Send handwritten thank you notes to those who helped you during your internship. For example; a senior person meets with you and during the meeting is very helpful with advice. Send a thank you note and include a personal comment on the advice you were given.
- Whenever you meet and work with someone at your internship, request a connection with them on LinkedIn. When you do, put a personal note in your request.
- Volunteer to be a part of any special non-work activities (e.g. helping coach a Little League team). This is a good way to expand your connections and show you commitment to the organization.
- When you return to school, send a thank you note to the people you worked closely with. Include a special note with each.
- Send periodic updates throughout the next semester to those you worked closely with. This is a great way to keep you in their minds.
None of these things take much time. They do take some personal discipline to do. You will be surprised by how much recognition you will get by simply being a good per