Organizations use the concept of a visual management system (VMS) to keep track of what they need to do. A VMS is a place where you can see at a quick glance what needs to be done. The same concept works for keeping track of your assignments in college.
- Obtain a white erasable board for your room.
- On the board, draw a calendar for the next four weeks
- From your syllabus for each class, identify any tests that are coming up in the next four weeks. Record the dates for the tests with a red marker. Record the date you need to begin studying for tests with a green marker
- Record the due date for routine assignments with a blue marker
- Record the date for major assignments with an orange marker. Then record the start date for these assignments in black.
- When you finish one week, erase this week and replace it with the week that’s four week’s out
- As you complete an item on the white board, put an X through it. This simple act can give you a sense of accomplishment.
You may find it surprising how effective the VMS can be in keeping you on track..