All of us have situations every day when we say thank you to others. The phrase is so common it’s lost its impact. The thank you we are talking about here is for something very meaningful to you. You want to make your thank you just as meaningful.
Here are some things to do in saying thanks in a special way:
- Say thanks with your words not with a gift. Words have lasting value. Gifts represent more of an exchange for services rendered. You want your thanks to be heartfelt and not just a monetary gift.
- When you do say thanks, follow these guidelines
- Do it in writing. A handwritten note is best.
- Make it memorable.
- Make it something the person will want to save.
- Send your note rather than handing it to the person. See Exhibit 1 from an example of a well done thank you.
- Over time, keep up with the person. There’s nothing better for a giving person than to know you are doing well.
- When your circumstances warrant, help others in the way you were helped. See the topic: Paying It Forward for examples of how to do this.
Saying thank you in a meaningful way has almost become a lost art. Those who know how to do this well will distinguish themselves.