A frequent question that students have is what computer they will need when they go to college. Some campuses will issue specific guidance on the computer needed. Some schools may even require a specific computer and software. But in many cases, you are on your own with respect to a computer decision.
Here are some general principles regarding your computer decision:
- In most classes, a laptop computer is not needed during class. In fact, a laptop computer can be a huge distraction in classes.
- A computer is generally a huge help for classes. Most courses require that assignments be typed. While campuses have lots of computer labs, it can be really inconvenient to do your assignments in a lab.
- The selection of a computer is a matter of personal choice. You should select a computer that you are most comfortable with unless your college strongly recommends a specific type of computer.
- You should select a computer with the best processor that you can afford. Your main focus should be processor speed and RAM.
- The software you will need will depend in large part on the major you select. You should ask someone in your major for a recommendation. However it would be very unusual if you will need any special software until later in your college career.
- A printer may not be necessary since you can print out documents on campus. But a printer can save you time.
A computer is essential for college students today, but you don’t have to have the top-of-the line system to do well. .