Perhaps the single most common item that every student has in college is a book bag. Some students use their book bag just for books, notes, and supplies while others think of their book bag as something to take on a survival course. Obviously there is a happy medium.
The first thing that comes to mind when you think of a book bag are materials you need for class.
- Books – For some classes, books aren’t needed to be carried to every class. You can generally judge this after a few class periods.
- Notebooks – You should have a different notebook for each class. Having all of your notes in one notebook can be very risky if you lose your notebook or your book bag.
- Writing materials – You need multiple pencils and pens.
- Homework folders – This a little used but essential element for a book bag. Before you leave for classes, review every class and the work due that day. Put all of these in one common folder where you can find them.
- Planner – You need a book where you can write down every assignment.
- Power point presentations – You might want to print out that day’s presentations for your different classes. These can really help in note taking.
Next to consider is equipment you are likely going to need:
- Calculator – this is especially important for math/science courses.
- Laptop computer – most faculty would discourage you from bringing a laptop to class, but it may be helpful for assignments during the day.
- Stapler – surprisingly this is one of the most important items for your book bag. Often you will print out homework on campus. Without a stapler, you may not have a way to keep these papers together.
You will also want to have some items for personal needs. Included in this would be:
- Medicines – examples would be aspirins and stomach relief.
- Energy bars or drinks – these can help you maintain your ability to get through a long day.
- Bottled Water – this can be helpful in hot classrooms.
Other items might reflect personal interests..