There are those who will tell you that to get ahead, you need to play the corporate politics game. It’s true that you need to be aware of corporate politics, but you will be a lot better off by not participating. It’s easy to get sucked into politics, but there are way to avoid getting trapped in the corporate political world.
- Don’t take sides. Never let your work be influenced by what someone wants you to say. Become known as a straight shooter who doesn’t play favorites.
- Let your work determine your worth, not who you know. Of course you will need a mentor, but don’t ask for favors. You don’t want to be in anyone’s debt.
- Don’t engage in gossip or “isn’t it awful” conversations. These are destructive and can’t further your career in anyway.
- Don’t let yourself get sucked into corporate drama. Let those around you know that you have a job to do and stay focused on why you are getting paid.
- Try to be helpful to everyone. When others see you as a neutral contributor, there is less of a chance that you will be sucked into taking sides.
At times it will be tough to ignore the politics that comes with an organization, but you need to keep your eye on the future. There are always losers in political contests and you don’t want to take that risk.