For most jobs, your resume will determine whether you get considered further. In most cases, your initial contact with an employer will be just this piece of paper. You won’t get to use your charm or good looks to get a job.
A college student’s resume will have the following components
- Contact information
- Educational background
- Work experience
- Reference information
The attached resume shows the overall format for a resume. Outlined below is some general guidance for each section. As you read each section, you might want to look at the sample resume.
- Include both campus and home contact information.
- Include the email address that you check the most regularly.
- List the following information:
- University you are attending
- Dates of attendance
- Your major field of study
- Any minor(s) you are pursuing
- Your GPA (if above 2.50)
- Relevant coursework (list 5-10 courses that might be of an interest to an employer)
- List your high school information status if you are a freshman. This would not be on your resume after your freshman year.
- High school attended
- Graduation Rank or GPA
- Don’t include any school you attended for only a short time.
- List the following informationIf you have several work experience, list each of these with the most recent one listed
- Your employer
- Dates worked (if this was several time period give these as time periods)
- Your job title
- Your duties (list 2 -3)
- If you have several work experience, list each of these with the most recent one listed first.
- List any special skills such as software knowledge, machine skills, certifications, etc.).
- List any personal attributes you think set you apart from others.
- List organizations, years of involvement, and any leadership positions you held.
- List scholarships.
- List any recognition earned (all-state athlete, scouting, music recognition).
- List volunteer activities that are significant.
- Note that high school organizations and volunteer activities are only on a freshmen resume.
- Provide the statement “Available Upon Request”.
Here are some final notes for you
- Your resume should be contained in one page.
- Email your resume to a friend to see how it prints out.
- Use bold lettering to separate sections.
- Have an experienced reviewer of your resume review it for content, typos, and look.
PAUL MICHAEL DAVIS, JR.
Current Address [email protected] Permanent Address
107 Beechurst Ave Apt. 3 694 Maple Way
City, State City, State
Phone Number Phone Number
Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, May 20xz
College of Business and Economics, AACSB International Accredited
Major: Finance, Minor: Communication Studies
University Name, City, State
Cumulative GPA 2.89/4.0
General Insurance Management of Individuals and Team
Financial Investments Corporate Finance
Organization Name, Location
Sales Representative, Summers of 20xx and 20xy
* Marketed and sold new educational products to existing customers for a
children’s magazine company, and maintained bonus standards of sales
* Discussed the possibility of adding a new life insurance policy with existing
commercial bank customers under the supervision of an insurance agent
Proficient in Microsoft Windows Office 2000: Excel, Word, Access, and PowerPoint
Demonstrated communication skills cultivating relationships with existing customers via marketing new product lines
Delta Sigma Pi
* Community Service Chairman for pledge class, Fall Semester 20xx
Member of Golden Key International Honor Society
Member of the University Honors Program
* Taught an Honor’s Orientation class to freshman, Fall Semester 20xx
* Tutored high risk children at South Middle School, Fall Semester 20xy
* Organized a community service event with the Neighborhood House, Fall Semester
References are available upon request.