How do you distinguish yourself early in your career? In college, you generally would be recognized for your grades and leadership, but standing out on the job can be different.
Here are some ways you can standout:
- Distinguish yourself with your work ethic. Come to work early and stay late. Always stay busy.
- Become involved in volunteer activities and other activities sponsored by your organization.
- Keep an idea log and test out your ideas informally on others. If one of your ideas gets approved, this could be a good way to get known.
- Reach out to others who you might be able to help. This will help distinguish you as a team contributor.
- Bring new skills to the organization. As a recent college graduate, you are likely to have some skills that are not present in the organization.
- Be professional in everything you do including:
- Attention to detail
- At the end of each week, give your boss a progress report on your activities.
- Contribute in meetings
- Get to know people across the organization
10. Whenever someone does something special for you as part of your assimilation into the organization, make sure to send a thank you note.
In most organizations, high performers are often identified in the first six months of employment. You want to get yourself on the high performer list. .