There are a variety of things that you need to have in your dorm room. People would just think of the essential things, but there are many more little things that students need that are the key to keeping you on the right academic track. These items can be broken up into a few different groups such as, Academic, Entertainment, and Organization.
The first group of things is Academics. This group, probably the most important, includes things such as books, a desk workspace, and student aids. These are the things you need to strive academically.
The second group of things that you need in your dorm room is entertainment related. It’s good to work hard but it is also good to be able to relax. You need to let go and have fun sometimes after having a lot of work completed.
The third and final group is organization related items. Organization is key in college to success because if you are able to stay organized you are able to complete all the work. If you know it’s do you have a much better chance of doing it rather than if you didn’t know about it.
- Used for class, good to keep in an organized spot in the room so you’re not always searching for them and they are easily assessable.
- Class notebooks. These need to be organized so you don’t have to waste time looking for them.
- Computer and printer.
- You need a solid work space like a desk where there aren’t things in your way bothering your work*
- You need a comfortable chair*
- You need a white board where you can place your assignments.
- *Most dorm rooms will provide these.
- Study Aids
- Everything needed to do work in all your classes, like pencils, pens, ruler, scissors, stapler, glue, etc.
- Electronics such as computer and a calculator
- Lighting – Most lighting in dorms isn’t that good
- Watch the news to stay on top of current events, or just enjoy a movie.
- Xbox (or computer games)
- So you can play some games and let go of any stress or worries that you have for a little.
- People love to let go and listen to music after a hard day of work.
- Sports equipment
- Should have a folder for each class so when you get back to your room you can put any graded papers in those folders, so you can always calculate your grade.
- Different notebooks
- Each class should get its own notebook so you don’t mix up any info from one class and the other.
- A desk organizer
- The desk organizer helps you utilize space in your dorm room. It’s a small room so you need to use as much as you can by having this organizing you can put printers and other school related things close and easy to get while working at your desk
- Mini refrigerator
This is something that another student can advise you on. This advice is especially helpful for the little things. Also, make sure to coordinate plans with your roommate..